About to become the most popular SUV in America?
A relatively new model in the mid-size SUV market
Our Score for the 2021 Kia Telluride (for now): (5 / 5)
With the Kia Telluride our South Korean friends at Kia Motors have created its largest model for the time being. The car targets the mid-size SUV market. This family friendly car comes with a lot of space. We expect it will come with a lot of included safety and other premium features as we have seen with the 2021 Kia Soul and our review of the Kia Niro Plug-in hybrid. The car is also be much larger than its little brother, the Kia Sorento. Let’s see what we can expect from the 2021 Kia Telluride.
The car we are previewing will be the second model year of the Telluride. In 2016 it was just a concept car. Launched in the spring of 2019, this mid-size SUV quickly hit the number 100 spot in the best sold car list of 2019 in the United States. The all new model averaged 5000 cars sold in its introduction year.
The good and the bad
2021 Kia Telluride Interior & Exterior
The Exterior has been altered since the 2016 concept car. Its front has been completely redesigned and the car has shrunk compared to the concept. As the concept – unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Michigan – was inspired on work of the fashion designer Brandon Maxwell , it had to be toned down a bit. Like the Kia Niro concept this concept was fitted with amazing suicide doors.
4 trim levels are offered: a base LX model, a more sporty S trim, mid-level EX trim, and a top-of-the-line SX. The latter even offering prestige package. A package that sports a head-up display and sleek Nappa leather interior fittings.
With its 3 rows and 7 seats it can be a fully functional family car. Its size rivals the Ford Explorer, Chevrolet Traverse, Hyundai Palisade, Volkswagen Atlas and the Honda Pilot. It will be difficult to run out of room when looking at the cargo and passenger space. The third row is a tight fit, it seems to seat 3 passenger but it only seats 2 passengers in full comfort.
Kia started experimenting with 3D printed interior parts, more a technical feature than something that will really affect the Tellurides interior. Used materials feel very upscale, especially when considering the Telluride price.
Uvo, the Kia’s user-friendly multimedia system is present in this car. Very user friendly and a lot of premium features. Apple carplay and Android Auto come standard.
Critics miss entertainment options on the back seats – rear seats only have USB ports – and advanced parking assistance like parallel and perpendicular parking. The Heads Up Display on the top-of-the-line SX trim seems to be barely visible in bad lighting conditions or when the driver is wearing sunglasses. Heated and ventilated seats also make up for the premium pricing of the SX trim.
2021 Kia Telluride Engine
The Kia West Point Assembly factory Georgia fits the Tellurides with a transversely-mounted 3.5-liter direct injection v6 engine. Hybrid powertrains come with a 130 Horse power electrical engine. Combined with the 270 hp v6 the car boasts a nice 400hp. There is also in a non hybrid 3.8L v6 with an 8 speed automatic transmission and 291 hp and a whopping 262 lb-ft of torque. This 3.8-liter v-6 is very capable. Reports say it is shifts smoothly – a thing we also notices with the Kia Niro. The Telluride has a sport-mode that stays in a lower gear longer, producing more power end revs as it gears up. All-wheel drive and front-wheel drives are possible.
2021 Kia Telluride User Reviews
Online, users are praising it smooth, quiet and solid drive. The Price / Quality ratio is very high and highly appreciated by Telluride drivers. There are some complaints about Uvo glitches: not saving destination addresses and bluetooth connectivity issues. Its great design and user-friendly nature are also stated.
2021 Kia Telluride Safety Features
The Kia, as almost all KIAs nowadays come loaded with safety features. Many of these features come standard with other KIA models.
- Auto defogging system: guarantees your vision in bad weather conditions
- Hill Start Control Assist (HSCA): helps starting the car on hills
- Driver Attention Warning: the car analyzes your driving behavior and pushes warnings when it is time to take a break
- Advanced High Strength steel and Alu body elements for extra strength
- Forward & Reverse Parking Distance Warning (PDW): Helps to avoid obstacles when navigating through tight spaces.
- Rear Cross Traffic Collision (RCCW): detecting cross traffic when moving out of a parking spot or changing lanes.
- Lane Following Assist (LFA): A basic type of Autopilot where the car assists in breaking and steering when following traffic.
- Forward Collision Avoidance (FCA): assists, warns and even applies the brakes when an object is nearing the car at great speed.
- Eco Driver Assistance System (DAS): System primarily used to help you drive, wasting less energy but also takes account of road conditions.
- Blind Spot Warning & Adaptive Cruise Control
- Intelligent Speed Limit Warning (ISLW): An AI object recognition feature that detects speed limits and warns the driver.
- Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
- Safety exit assistance for the rear doors
- Prevents doors from being opened when other vehicles or bikes are detected nearby. Standard Safe Exit Assist.
2021 Kia Telluride Price & Release Date
This Kia is Roomy, affordable and has a lot of technical features by default. We expect the 2021 Telluride to roll out of the Kia dealerships in the spring of 2021. It will not differ much from the 2020 Kia Telluride. Probably only a minor refresh and the first issues with the initial 2020 edition will probably be ironed out. The Price will be around $32000 for the base model and $47500 for the top of the line Telluride SX. For more on the Telluride check KIA. With these prices and option the Telluride is a real competition for other midsize SUV models.